Application deadline: 23 June 2019
The ‘NVAO-accredited Programmes’ division is part of Education and Student Affairs. It is composed of the programme directors for NVAO-accredited programmes together with their programme teams (student advisors, programme advisors, secretarial offices). The Dean of Education heads this division.
The division also includes the programme team for the BSc programme ‘Soil, Water, Atmosphere’ and the MSc programmes ‘Earth and Environment’ and ‘Geo Information Science’. The programme director we are looking for will manage this team and the above-mentioned programmes.
In this division we aspire to a working environment in which programme directors do not work alone but as part of a team of programme directors and programme teams within a domain (such as Environmental Sciences, Economics and Society, and Food and Health). The programme directors together flesh out the domain in terms of:
- the discussion about issues such as (selection and) admission, quality assurance, implementation of policy on study advice and educational innovation
- the development and implementation of plans for the domain programmes in line with and/or as a result of implementation of the educational vision
- collaboration across the programme teams (sharing best practices, looking at where team staff can step in for or replace one another, where supplementary expertise is required for the teams as a whole, etc.).
The programme director
In the above context, the programme director we are seeking will be responsible for:
- the day-to-day management of the programmes, including:
- Ongoing development of the curricula for both programmes, in consultation with the degree programme committees, relevant chair holders, lecturers, students and representatives of the professional field. This ongoing development will also encompass educational innovation at the programme level and the implementation of Wageningen University’s educational vision.
- Evaluation and monitoring of the quality of programme components and of the programme as a whole.
- Consulting with lecturers about content, form and cohesion of the courses in the curriculum.
- Advising on the admission of Bachelor’s and Master’s students.
- Liaison with the Examining Board, Student Service Centre, etc.
- coordination of educational matters with fellow-programme directors and colleagues elsewhere within the organisation
- leading the programme team made up of student advisors and the secretarial office
- advising the degree programme committee on developments in teaching and improvements in the curricula.
The programme director reports to the Director of ESA/Dean of Education.
The candidate we are seeking will have:
- an ability to perform at an academic level, preferably with a PhD
- knowledge of and a strong affinity with the subject area of the programme
- a ‘T-shaped profile’, by which we mean that the candidate will have an in-depth knowledge of the subject area of the programme, as well as knowledge of related programmes at Wageningen University
- knowledge of and experience in educational management
- preferably, knowledge of and experience in digitisation in education
- preferably, experience in combining teaching and research, and teaching and external parties
- a sense of entrepreneurship
- a network that is relevant for the job.
- An awareness of the environment in which the candidate operates
- Good at encouraging and connecting different parties
- Excellent proficiency in spoken and written English
- Able to cope with pressure/high workload
- Persuasive, able to motivate, provide well-founded advice
- Good interpersonal skills, including intercultural communication skills
- Innovative and solution-oriented
- Sensitive to the organisation, with a good sense of administrative relationships
- Result-focused, without loss of values such as solidarity and fairness
- Plays a uniting role and is a team player.
More information: https://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs/Vacancies/Show/PROGRAMME-DIRECTOR-Soil-Water-Atmosphere-and-Geo-information-Science.htm